Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sticking it to "The Man"

Have I told you guys how much I just LOVE Kroger? I'm a Kroger girl. I guess because I know where everything is (and their secret little stash of clearance stuff by the employee break room.) Anyway, today I had to buy a few things to make meals with the stuff I already have. ("Yeah, me!" for sticking to this so diligently!) I needed about 5 things. What to my wondering eyes appeared? Christmas clearance stuff! Now, I know, you're thinking, "Everyone has Christmas stuff on clearance right now." And right you would be...but you see, people don't think "Kroger" when they think of buying it. So I was able to get those new LED Christmas lights for $5, and some that look like lollipops to line the driveway for $8. There were gifts that I can give next Christmas, too...but I won't go into any detail here, but let's just say some lucky lady is going to be very pleased with this $4 gift next Christmas. Also, they had cologne on sale 50% off...and it so happens that The Man of the House loves this certain kind of cologne that's normally about $45 and I was able to get it for $22.50...And here it is, so close to Valentine's Day! Then, I pounced on the greatest thing...Christmas colored paper plates for 39 cents. I know, right? I don't care if we eat sandwiches off red and green plates! I bought a HUGE stack of them. So I bought $20 in groceries and $60 in "Christmas" stuff, and SAVED $186. I saved more than twice what I spent. So I'm pretty puffed up right now, if you can't tell.

As for the "Lose weight" goal... well, see, I'm still working on those overstuffed cabinets. I have no excuse to offer for the fact that the workout video is still in it's original package, unopened and unloved. So goes my list of reasons.

Tonight for dinner, we had baked chicken w/ one of the 4 BBQ sauces I had in the cabinets. Also, leftover (frozen) corn from Christmas dinner and broccoli w/ fat free cheese sauce (from triple couponing at Kroger.) So, it was a healthy dinner (oh, yeah) and delicious, and it met my goal for cleaning out the freezer today. Did I mention how cheap dinner can be when you're a mega-couponer?

Speaking of coupons, one of my sisters called me yesterday to inform me that Harris Teeter is having Super-Double coupons starting Wednesday. Every time Harris Teeter (a local grocery chain) does this, the neighboring Kroger's feel compelled to compete and honor the same deal. This means that although Kroger normally only doubles coupons up to 50 cents in value, they will double them up to $1.99. Another good thing is that Kroger runs sales from Sunday to Saturday, and Harris Teeter runs them from Wednesday to Tuesday, so basically I can pick and choose what to buy on sale with coupons Wednesday through Saturday, then do a different deal Sunday through Tuesday. Normally, they allow you to use 20 coupons per transaction. So this is how it goes down:
Step 1
Go through sales ad, find items with matching coupons (hopefully using bigger-value coupons, since they don't normally double)
Step 2
My sister and I go to Kroger together, because 4 eyes watching for deals is WAY better than 2. We each buy our 20 coupon limit items, then take them to the truck. We start with non-food and non-perishable items first, although as cold as it is outside right now, everything would probably be fine in any order.
Step 3
Rinse, lather, repeat until we're out of coupons, out of money, or until we're too tired to go in anymore.

Last time, Kroger had triple coupons and I was able to buy a trunk load of groceries including washing detergent and cleaning supplies for $11.00. It was SO fabulous! So, I'll see you at Kroger this week!

One more thing, www.snapfish.com is an awesome deal this week. If you need to print out your digital pictures from Christmas, go here and use the code "NEWYEAR50" and get 50 prints for 50 cents plus shipping. I did, and it was less than $5 total. Great deal, and I don't have to go pick them up! This is a public service announcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment