Tuesday, December 22, 2009

It's almost Christmas

I know, Christmas is a time for eating sinful things that you just don't get all year long. See, the Man of the House LOVES his sweets. I mean, so much so that I have caught him cheating on me in the middle of the night with some witch named Little Debbie. All I hear from the bedroom is the crinkle of the cellophane packages and various moaning sounds. Anyway, wanting to be the hostess with the mostest to my Almost-Dad who will be here tomorrow night, today I made a cheesecake for him. Not for Christmas. This cheesecake was specifically made to deter him and the Man of the House away from the various pies and insundry sweets that I'd actually like to keep whole until Christmas. Kinda like having made a Shoo-Fly pie from days of old. Don't get me wrong, I shamelessly boast that my cheesecake is top-knotch. I'm proud of it and it never fails to get rave reviews. I'll be cooking my keester off for the the next few days for THE Christmas dinner, but between now and then, we're going to have to eat. ;)

There are two secrets to great cheesecake. Shh...I'll tell you...First, you have to let the eggs and cream cheese come to room temperature before you do anything else. This is important, because otherwise your cheesecake will have hunks of cream cheese in it. We're making a cake here, not bagels, so don't mess with the recipe until these things are no longer cold. Second, you have to cover the outside of the springform pan with aluminum foil, stick it in an even bigger pan of hot water. I know it's a messy pain in the yoo-hoo, but it keeps the outside of the cheesecake from getting brown and tough and it keeps the center from falling like a crater. So just do it. If you want my recipe and you're not related, I'll give it to you. If you are related, you must sign an affodavit that you'll never make MY cheesecake for any family function. Why, you ask? Because that's MY job and I like basking in all the compliments, thank you very much. Oh, one more thing...some people like strawberries, some like cherries, some like raspberries on their cheesecake. Me, I leave the cake plain and put the toppings in separate bowls, so whatever your little heart desires, you can have. If you like straw-cherry-raspberry cheesecake, be my guest.

I hung the mistletoe today. Right in the doorway between the kitchen and the living room, where my family likes to hang out, anyway. I like getting kissed instead of ticked. Normally, I'm saying, "Move your toys out of the doorway. Go play in your room" or to the Man of the House, "Excuse me, honey." (Complete with clenched teeth and a threatening sarcastic overtone.) After all, why oh why do people like to hang out and chit chat RIGHT in the way all the time? Anyway, now that the mistletoe is hung so you can see, somebody waits for me...kiss 'em once for me...and I'll have a holly jolly Christmas. But I digress.

I'm still holding out on wrapping the few last presents. I don't know what my problem is. I really do like wrapping presents, but I might have burned myself out. Today, I "wrapped" one gift...in a basket with cellophane and a big pretty bow. Turned out looking pretty professional, if I do say so myself. I need to count packages for the kids and make sure they all have an even number, and if not, I have to make it even. Either by buying a gift or by wrapping two things in one package. See, kids are package counters. They don't really know the value of the items until they are teenagers (and thereby know EVERYTHING) so little kids get fooled every year. Not to mention that "Aunt Sissa" (as they have always called me) gets great deals on things that look expensive. So who really knows? I don't even remember, and I'm the one that bought the stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment